Thursday, June 26, 2008

There Is Just No Way.

If you haven't heard yet, Coach West was found dead this morning.

I was at work when I found out. Jessie Payne told me about it, and I gathered more information throughout the day from random people who came in.

I wasn't super upset, because it didn't seem real. I couldn't believe that Coach West was dead. I couldn't believe that he would never make fun of the way I run again, or completely change the way an Expo marker looks to one of his Health classes again. He wouldn't stand like Captain Morgan on the rail looking in to the gym, and he would never teach another class how to play 'Westball'.

It didn't really hit me until I had to tell anyone about it. When my dad picked me up from work, I actually had to say the words "Coach West is dead", to get it.

Coach West was most surely loved by the students at UCHS. On Yearbook day, there was a ten minute wait to have him sign your yearbook. I'm really going to miss Coach West, and I don't think I'll be able to run or drink a Diet Coke again without thinking of him.

I loved Coach West. He was one of my favorite teachers this past year, and... I don't know what else to say.

2 comments:

BLITZKRIEG! said...

What a great way to honor his memory here, though, Heather. It's fitting that you remember all these things about him; these are a few of the reasons why so many kids loved him. And from a teacher/colleague standpoint, I can honestly say he was one of those "non-coach" coaches. I don't know really how to explain it other than to say he was personable, and would actually contribute in parent conferences, unlike most "coach" types I've been with in similar situations. He CARED. He will be missed.

Anonymous said...

i completely and totally agree. i was like lost when i heard...3 times in 2 minutes...small town...news travels fast...really fast