Monday, March 24, 2008

Original? Yes. but a resounding NO at the same time

Mmkay, so I just read a blog about originality (Bonnie).

And, like so many other things, it made me think.

This is the conclusion I've come to:

Everyone (even the people who don't try to be, and the people who do try to be) is original. That;t the same thing we have been taught since kindergarten. There is NOBODY in the world who is the same as us. And that simple fact of course makes me wonder why so many people try so hard to be "original", when it is something you are born with.

These people (and don't get me wrong, I am friends with people I consider to be like this, and there is nothing wrong with trying to be your won person) try to gain individuality by dressing different, or having a different hair cut, or something else like that. Don't they realize that what you look like does not, and CAN NOT define who you are.

Anybody can dress the same way or style the same way, or even get plastic surgery to look exactly like you (although if someone did that, I think it's time for a restraining order). And then POOF! No more individuality for you Byotch.

So for the love of God, stop trying so hard to "be yourself", because the more everybody tries to be different, the more we assimilate to each other. Everyone tries to be different in the same way. Do you see the contradiction?

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

I was reading this thinking it was Bree's and then it turned out I clicked yours instead...

Nice though.

I remember a argument I had with the whole class in Civics once.

People were trying to say that wearing clothes that are "different" makes you "original".

My point was similar.
I said you shouldn't have to try to be yourself.
It's nature taking its course.

Bonnie said...

By "my point", I'm referring to the one in your blog.

:)