Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Reflections on the end of my life as I know it

Graduation.

A time when one chapter in a young person's life ends, and another begins blablablah.



In two days my brother will graduate.

In 22 days he is leaving for EUROPE with Leland.

In a few months, he is going to MOVE OUT!!



That means that he won't be sleeping in the room next door to me anymore. He won't be around to watch stand-up comedy with me anymore. He won't help take some of my parent's heat off me. He won't randomly swing dance with me anymore. He won't reenact the Medieval Times fight scene from The Cable Guy with me in the kitchen with spatulas anymore.



I seriously can't imagine a school year without him.

I know he's only going to be in Dahlonega so he'll probably be back every weekend... but my world is falling apart right now, so I'm thinking people should stop discrediting my complaints. (In other words: SHUT UP AND LET ME WHINE!!!)



I mean, he's MY BROTHER!!! I read an article somewhere about how siblings play probably the largest role in somebody's life because parents will eventually pass away and your siblings are the people that you can pretty much be super-close with for your entire life.

I've never been away from him for longer than, like, a little over a week.

the real problem is that this isn't just going to be for a while. I can stand the month in Europe, because I know he'll be back.



But after he starts college, he's going to be GONE FOREVER. (Yes, I KNOW he'll be back on weekends and for holidays, that's not what I'm talking about.) He isn't going to LIVE with us. It's like he's not part of our family anymore. He's moving out.

Ok, so I'm not doing a very good job describing the ending of my life. Oh well, I don't care. This isn't about you, is it?

:(

PS. The first thing I'm going to do when he leaves (on June 11th for Europe) is clean our bathroom from top to bottom.

6 comments:

Joe Murphy said...

ok heather, i know you're not going to believe me, but i just checked and i got a 102.87 in english. suck it. HAVE A GREAT SUMMER.

Joe Murphy said...

and by the way, I KNOW! im gonna miss these seniors like ten billion times more than last years. this years were the life of the school.

tucker belton said...

i kind a feel you pain i've had two older siblings graduate and move hundreds of miles away, so i understand what your going through, but it will all be ok all you have to do is belive( ok sorry i'll shut up now)

Rawley said...

I like how you had to keep emphasizing how upset you are.

I was 10 (or so) when my brother moved out so I never got to have epic memories with him. Aside from him kicking my butt when I challenged him to wrestling and the few times he let me ride around listening to 90s rock with him.

And I still miss that.

You'll be okay, miss :]!
It'll just take some getting used to

BLITZKRIEG! said...

Heather; I can't say I feel your pain exactly--b/c I do not have an older sibling graduating--but can you believe the class of 2009 is the LAST group I taught at the middle school as 6th graders? That's a looong legacy for any teacher. It's going to be super weird from here on out, knowing only a handful of the underclassmen. I mean, really "knowing" them. Sure, I've taught 9th graders since then, but it's not the same. I too will miss your brother randomly strolling into my room any block--class or no--and breaking into a dance with me. Or, just talking with any of them about random stuff that's happened over the past six years or so--because I've pretty much been there for most of it. :) So yeah, I totally get what you're saying, and although there are few words I can say to make you feel much better, I can, however, promise you that your brother will always be close to you, no matter how much distance is between you. He loves you bunches and is very protective of you; I've always been able to sense that.

Sorry if I made you even more emotional, but this was on my heart and I had to say it all. Try to have a memorable summer, and when you're really down and out, think of this:

You have an enormous task in front of you for your senior year in my AP class. For you, Heather--yes, you--are the only one chosen to take on the lofty task of keeping track of just how many times Joe raises his hand in class. It is, after all, your AP destiny....

Joe Murphy said...

I still can't believe I would raise my hand 30 times in one day. I think Heather is exaggerating.